Table of Contents Hide
- 1. Pair Your Stairs with a Stair Runner
- 2. A Pantry Under Your Stairs
- 3. A Floating Staircase
- 4. Incorporate Wood
- 5. Focus on Handle Designs
- 6. A Spiral Staircase
- 7. Bookshelf Under the Stairs
- 8. The Wall of Your Staircase
- 9. Art Gallery on the Staircase Wall
- 10. Create a Cozy Seating Area
- 11. Garden Under the Stairs
- 12. Staircase with Lighting
- 13. Go Bold with Mirrors
- 14. The Tile Accents
- 15. The Staircase with a Ladder
Staircases are probably one of the most functional parts of our homes, but let us face the truth! Many of us neglect being creative with the staircase. We often push ourselves to the edge for selecting the right furniture, artwork, wall decoration, and lighting, but being creative with stairwell decor ideas is something we very often leave out.
Provide your stairs with architectural features to provide them their fair share of attention. Unleash your artistry and build a unique and elegant stairwell with a touch of creativity. Perhaps limited space, cost restrictions, or lack of creative ideas are stopping you from creating a staircase to reflect your personal style. To help you, we have curated a list of the top 15 ideas for decorating your staircase.
Allow the addition of a personality to your plain and uninviting staircase with these stairwell decor ideas that will transform your stairs!
1. Pair Your Stairs with a Stair Runner
If you want to break the monotony of stairwell decor ideas, the variety of stair runners is definitely a hit for you. A stair runner will enhance the style and aesthetic appeal of your stairs, providing a bold and modern statement. It also renders a benefit by acting as a protective layer.
The width of the stairs and the type of carpet you choose should be closely monitored before placing a stair runner. Stairwell decor ideas with stair runners are versatile because they come in different varieties, so you never really are stuck with limited choices. You can choose geometrical or non-geometrical patterns depending on what style resonates best with you. For a subtle appearance, a carpet with minimal patterns will be the best for adorning your staircase.
- NON-SLIP STAIR RUG: Multi-purpose Stair mats to use the TPE Non-Skid backing on dry floor, helping it to stay in place on your floor, it won't slip or scuff floors. Low profile design so doors won't get stuck.Perfect for homes with pets (dogs or cats) or kids.
- HOW TO USED Stair Treads for Step - Just clean, peel, and stick! If you need to reposition or remove,it won't leave any residue,always keeping your floors intact.And it won't remove or slip when meeting water.
- STAIR TREADS MAT SIZE:28"x9"x0.3",material:made of 100% polyester
- STAIR MAT NO -SLIP: Non Slip Strips can be washed repeatedly 30 times without affecting the slip resistance. Fit for restaurants,family rooms, corridors,game rooms and children's bedrooms
- CUSTOMER SERVICE: Our brand is always pursuing customer satisfaction as the top of priority. We are glad to receive more suggestions from our customers, if the mats have problems, we will process any request from customer with 24 hours, and replacement will be paid by us for any quality issues
2. A Pantry Under Your Stairs
If you are struggling with space and storage areas in your home, we bring you an affordable and creative solution. If you are unsure about how to utilize the irregular space under your stairs, we suggest you incorporate a pantry in the little nook under the stairs. Building a pantry under your stairs will provide an organized and sophisticated outlook to your staircase proximity.
Stairwell decor ideas focusing on a pantry under the nook offers too many opportunities to enhance the aesthetics by displaying the decorative items. Additionally, it is highly customizable, so you control how you want to display your decorative items and ornaments to transform your staircase. You can also utilize the space for a bar or storage areas for clothes & footwear if the pantry is not your need at the moment.
3. A Floating Staircase
A floating staircase is a modern and elegant detail to add to your home. The design of the floating stairs is clean and minimalist, creating an architectural focal point for your home. The visually appealing details of a floating staircase are conferred by its open, sleek, and spacious feel.
Tread length, step depth, handrail width, and rise height are some of the important considerations to monitor when you install one of the stairwell decor ideas with a floating staircase. The design of this staircase can complement well with other interior details. This opens doors for creatively using other decoration patterns to create an overall aesthetic ambiance in your home.
4. Incorporate Wood
Wooden features add elegance and enhance the value of the home, no matter in what way they are added to the home decoration. So, we can not miss wood stairwell decor ideas at any cost. In addition to facilitating the visual appeal of the home, wooden staircases offer longevity and durability with minimal maintenance.
With wood, you can add sophistication to your home in many ways. You can create a floating staircase using wooden treads. If a floating staircase is not your preference, a wooden staircase with a glass railing will make your home look admirable. Another way to incorporate wood into your stairs is by adding non-wooden treads but pairing them with wooden handrails and pillars. Wood and glass are other excellent combinations that will provide stunning visual details to your home.
- ▼ Dimensions: Width: 4" (100mm), Thickness: 5/16" (8mm), Length: 32" (812mm). ▼ 5-pack in box, covers 3.33 linear feet of railing.
- ▼ Easy installation with Myard glass baluster connector shoes (sold individually) on 2" x 4" wood, composite, aluminum, or CXT railings. 2 shoes for each glass baluster at both ends.
- ▼ Glass balusters offer a high level of distinction and elegance to a deck, allow you to see out beyond your deck, while still keeping you safe. Can be mixed with other styles balusters for unique creative look.
- ▼ Each glass baluster has polished 45 degree edges and R5 rounded corners. 100% tempered safety glass.
- ▼ Looking for upgraded glass balusters? Try "Myard Laminated Glass Balusters" to enhance the value of your property. The safer, the better!
5. Focus on Handle Designs
A staircase will lose its distinction if you don’t closely focus on choosing the right type of handle design. Let us cover stairwell decor ideas that include handle designs. A staircase has two parts handrails and railing, and it is necessary to choose the right designs of both to create an exceptional staircase for your home.
The material used to build the staircase is another important factor to consider that will also determine durability. Widely used materials for handrails and railings are steel, iron, aluminum, wood, wire mesh, and glass. You can opt for minimal and traditional handrails, like picket railing, multi-line railing, panel railing, or cable-line railing. A lot of modern and creative railing patterns are available that add a distinctive feature to your staircase.
6. A Spiral Staircase
A spiral staircase in the house will steal the limelight with its sophistication and grandeur. The architectural statement and the curved elegance of the spiral stairs make it a natural focal point. The modern look of a spiral staircase will add character and style to your home. The stairwell decor ideas utilizing a spiral staircase are efficient for homes with limited space.
The reason is that a spiral staircase will use the least floor space as compared to conventional staircase architecture. Different materials like glass, wood, or concrete are used for building a spiral staircase. The finishing, aided by a spiral staircase, is extraordinary no matter what material you use.
7. Bookshelf Under the Stairs
What more would a book lover want than easy accessibility to his favorite books? If you are an avid reader too, you will love this decor idea with stairs. A staircase with an incorporated bookshelf is a mindful utilization of extra space in the nook. Stairwell decor ideas with a bookshelf under the staircase are a creative way to show an inclination toward books.
The multi-functional space provided by the integration of a bookshelf and staircase turns out to be a unique design for homes. The geometric details provided by the bookshelf add structural detail to your home, making it an excellent focal point.
8. The Wall of Your Staircase
Stairwell decor ideas will be incomplete if we miss the staircase wall. If you want to upgrade your simple staircase and seek an extraordinary staircase, it is time for you to build a canvas on the staircase wall. Lastly, who does not get intrigued by creativity? Striped wall patterns are one of the popular choices for wall decoration that you might want to try.
For stairs with wooden treads, a brick wall is the best match. An exposed brick wall creates a rustic but warm atmosphere in your house interiors. Building a wall niche will help in utilizing space along with giving a structural spotlight to the staircase wall. A wall shelf is another functional & architectural design that helps to provide more space or simply display ornaments, plants, books, or collectibles.
9. Art Gallery on the Staircase Wall
A striking artwork can adorn your staircase. A personal touch by building a gallery wall to your staircase wall is an interesting idea. You can use personal photos or art pieces to personalize your walls. Among different layouts, you can choose a layout of your choice. An organic layout on the wall will use photos of varying sizes.
A symmetrical layout is equally intriguing. Sizing and placement are two factors that must be considered when opting for an art gallery for stairwell decor ideas. An oversized, single art piece can be one way to incorporate art on your staircase wall.
10. Create a Cozy Seating Area
The space under the stairs provides sufficient space to build a cozy seating area in your home. Not only is this a unique idea, but it also allows you to add functionality to an empty space you’d have forgotten to add utility. You can add comfort by utilizing soft textiles in the seating area. Pile the seating area with a few cozy cushions, blankets, and pillows.
Choose soft fabrics for the seating area to complement the coziness you want to build. Lighting can be important to ensure a welcoming atmosphere. Install lighting articles like sconces, table lamps, or overhead lights to create a comfortable ambiance. If your cozy seating area can accommodate a table, placing a few vases and potted plants will flaunt the warm and inviting atmosphere.
11. Garden Under the Stairs
If aesthetics please you, you will definitely fall for one of the best stairwell decor ideas we bring forward. We already have covered a lot about the optimal use of space, but building a garden is one unique idea. If you are unsure where to place all your indoor plants, the space under the stairs for placing your indoor plants can be efficiently utilized.
This attractive idea is a hit because it provides a unique and exquisite perspective. For plants to grow, natural light must be sufficiently present. If natural light is limited in the area, install artificial lights to support the growth of your indoor plants. The garden can be further embellished by the use of lights, ceramic pots, pebbles, or creating contrasting patterns.
- 6000K White Light - equipped with 10 Red + 74 White LEDs, this growing Lamp is similar to the full-spectrum sunlight at noon,that is professionally designed for indoor garden plants.Moreover, its color rendering index is as high as 95, the light is soft and flicker-free, which is very suitable for reading lamp
- Timer Function & Multiple Settings - this growing light offer the timer function with 3 options that is 4Hrs or 8Hrs or 12Hrs, it is based on a 24 hour cycle from the time you set the timer.For example,when keeping power ON, if you select 8 Hrs,it will turns ON for 8 hours per 24 hours.The other two timer settings are the same.
- Easy to Install - with flexible Gooseneck & strong clamp,it allows you to place the growth light in any direction to provide the best lighting angle for your plants，meet the cover around the plant.Powered by USB or AC Power Plug
- High Efficiency LED Lamp - as for LED power draw this seedling lights just comsume about 10watt and is equivalent to a 50W Halogen Bulb.Estimately monthly cost roughly $2 in electricity (12 hours a day). It is a great gift if you growing some small house plants.
- 【365 Days Worry-free Warranty】GooingTop service team offer 365 days warranty and 24h friendly customer service. If there are ever any issues about the product, please feel free to contact us and we will send you a new replacement or full refund.
12. Staircase with Lighting
Decorating the staircase and adjacent walls with distinctive lighting pieces will provide a crafty edge to your home. Undoubtedly, lights make the best of stairwell decor ideas. To enhance the curvature of staircases with a curve, use subtle lights from below the treads of stairs. The lighting pieces can be installed from the sides of the stairs as well, which complements almost all stair designs.
The ceiling of the staircase can be focused rather than the stairs itself to create a statement look. Unique ceiling lights will delight the aesthetics of your home. You can also use multilayered ceiling fixtures to give a touch of luxury to your staircase.
13. Go Bold with Mirrors
With mirrors and stairs together, you can create magic in your home. Mirrors add depth wherever they are added as a decorative item. By reflecting lights, the mirrors can create a sense of more space if your home lacks sufficient space. Narrow staircases need the illusion of expansive space by using mirrors.
Create the focal point on your staircase wall with these stairwell decor ideas. You can set a large mirror on the wall to create the centerpiece for the staircase wall. Place the large mirror in a way it reflects the most natural or artificial light. You can also create a focal point by placing a number of small and framed mirrors in a staggered manner.
14. The Tile Accents
Tiles are an integral part of interior architecture, for they can create a sense of personalization in any home. With a huge variety of patterns, shapes, textures, and materials, tiles provide an easy way to incorporate your style into your staircase. Fascinate your guests with tiles that have graphical patterns to consolidate playful energy.
Alternatively, choose a tile pattern that matches the stairwell decor ideas. For example, if you use vintage flowers as decorative items, choose tiles resembling the same pattern to elevate the aesthetics. For a statement look, you can create a contrasting pattern to your staircase. For a white staircase wall and white hand railing, the use of black tiles will create a stunning staircase.
15. The Staircase with a Ladder
For residents with limited space, you can replace a typical staircase with ladder-like stairs. The space efficiency is commendable for stairwell decor ideas that incorporate a ladder.
Ladder stairs come in a variety, from simple ladder-style stairs to more styled pieces of staircases. Typically, a ladder staircase will have taller steps, and climbing them is a bit difficult. You can incorporate features that make it easy to use and furnish details of your preferred designs.
We have explored 15 different stairwell decor ideas that were unique in their way. Incorporating these ideas for your stairwell will transform your monotonous stairwell into a focal point of the home.
Creativity has no limits, so you can do a lot with stairs to give your home a structural statement and a focal distinction. Stair runners have to be the easiest way to transform your stairs. For an elegant and sophisticated staircase, a floating or spiral design should be your top choice.
Details with materials can also help you to add life to a dull staircase. For example, use wooden details or get innovative with the space of the staircase wall to build unique stairs for your home. The space under the nook, if embraced with creativity, can also make your staircase exceptional.
Let us know in the comment section below which stairwell decor idea you think was the best!